Monday, November 10, 2008

A silly obsession?


OK. I never thought I would say this, but I'm OBSESSED... with vampires! No, really. I am. Weird coming from me, isn't it? So all the rage these days in our office is the Twilight series. I kept hearing all the gals dishing about it, and I couldn't stop myself from thinking, "These girls are so weird. Why would anyone in their right mind read a book about teenage love and vampires." Well, lo and behold, Justin decided to start watching the HBO series, True Blood. The first episode turned my stomach, so I decided not to watch it. But, between his liking for the show and all the office chatter about Twilight, I decided to give the book a whirl. I was sucked in by page 27 (thanks, ELSA!). I haven't read any books in a long time that have evoked so many emotions - love, hate, fear, sadness, passion, depression. It leaves you yearning to turn the next page! The books are fairly long, but they are quick reads. I read the first two in a week, and started the third on Saturday. I'm not so sure that it makes my hubby happy, so I'm trying to read sparingly, but it's so hard to not sit in a chair with a cup of coffee and read straight through!

In the meantime, I've started watching True Blood as well. Wow. I love it. The dynamics between the characters - Sookie, Bill and Sam in particular - is amazing! It's a little more graphic than the Twilight series, but it's amazing the parallels in the two series (BTW... so glad HBO came up with something "dark" to replace Six Feet Under, which I miss SO much.)

Yesterday, I gave a whirl at explaining to Justin just why I'm so obsessed. The character dynamics are incredibly interesting/powerful. Like I said earlier, the experiences they encounter evoke a ton of of emotions. I also find the idea of sub-cultures incredibly interesting... and creepy! But, for now, it's my OBSESSION! :)

No comments: